Church history, in one sense, is the story of how God the Holy Spirit has blown across God’s creation. It is our privilege then to share our localized story of God’s spirit raising dead bones to new life here in La Mirada, CA.
In 1951 the Rev. Henry W. Coray, an Orthodox Presbyterian pastor in Long Beach, started a weeknight Bible class in the Pico Rivera area. He was assisted by the Rev. James Moore, an Orthodox Presbyterian pastor in Eagle Rock. Out of this class, which met in various homes, there grew a Sunday evening service, and later Sunday School and morning worship services which were held in the Palm Park Recreation building.
In 1953 the Rev. Robert E. Nicholas was employed by Presbytery of Southern California to work with the group until January of 1957. At that time Rev. Dwight H. Poundstone accepted the call of the denomination’s Committee on Home Missions and Church Extension to head-up the work that was soon to become Calvary Church.
A small but faithful group was then meeting in the Whittier YMCA but they decided to purchase the property on which the church is now located.
Within the year adjoining property was secured with a view to expansion. On May 14, 1958 Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized with a charter membership of 27 communicant members and 15 baptized children.
In March 1961, Calvary completed the first unit of its church building. By using considerable volunteer labor the cost was kept under $60,000. It was dedicated on Palm Sunday afternoon.
After Mr. Poundstone’s resignation, the Rev. Eugene Saltzen served for approximately 3.5 years and was followed by the Rev. Kent T. Hinkson. He was then followed by Rev. Jay Fluck who served in the years 1979-1998, and he was followed by the Rev. Don Buchanan who served from 1998-2011.
Our current pastor, Austin Britton, was ordained and installed on November 11th, 2012.
It is our prayer that as we honor what God has done here in the past, he will continue to pour out his blessings and renew his people in the present, and on into the future. We desire God’s Spirit to continue to blow through our doors, regenerate hearts, and bring new life to the dead.